Saturday, 29 January 2011

Urgent! Second Reading of Health Bill this Monday!

Bunch of sly sleekit b****s. The second reading of the Health and Social Care Bill in the Commons goes ahead this Monday. If you haven't already contacted your MPs to vote, do so today.

I'm beginning to wonder if the reason the BMA chose to have its debate on the bill on the 15th March, was so that it would all be over by the time it happened. Anyway, I digress. Get on those phones now to your MPs!

1 comment:

Dr Grumble said...

I tried to attend a meeting at the BMA but, having resigned over their inactivity, they did not allow me in - which I suppose is fair. I offered to rejoin there and then but they still did not let me in which is more suspicious.

Getting GPs to implement these changes has been a very clever move. Who can complain about being put in charge? A few GPs are likely to become very rich as a result and others may naively think that they can control the process so that patient care is not too damaged by these changes.

In reality (I hate to be negative about this) we cannot stop what is happening. It will be very interesting to see what happens in England compared with Scotland and Wales.

In defence of a market system there are some aspects of my work that have thrived now the hospital gets more money for more work. But some of the incentives are perverse and my equivalents in Edinburgh have long had an even better set-up so all systems can be made to work. It is just that some cost more than others.

When the NHS was lagging badly behind other countries it was due to grossly inadequate funding not the system. The bad figures that Cameron likes to emphasise are largely a residual consequence of that era. The analyses of the Commonwealth Fund reveal what we risk losing.