
I feel sick. Absolutely sick. Less than a week after Stafford, the Department of Health orders an inquiry into the deaths of six people with learning difficulties in hospital.This has been prompted by a report from the Ombudsman, which largely upholds the complaints made by relatives through Mencap's 'Death from Indifference' submission to the Ombudsman. One of those who died was left without food in hospital for 26 days.
So, how did the Fourth Estate react to it all?
At lunchtime, the BBC reported it as the third story on the news bulletin. On the six o clock news, the one that most people watch, it was reported towards the end of the programme. On its website, again it has not comment enabled the story; you can send an email to the Beeb, if you're brave enough to do so, which of course most people won't be. And it has no mention on the 'Have Your Say' page. Still, that was better than Channel 4, which did not report the story at all, but instead did a report on a paranoid schizophrenic who was convicted of the murder of a policeman in Luton. He was an asylum seeker as well, so that's two prejudices supported for the price of one.
I've still to do a trawl of other media sites, but I'm not holding out much hope. I can hear the furious sound of digging and I am sure that this story will be buried by tomorrow.
Two questions.
1.What has to happen for us to take abuse of the elderly, disabled and those with learning difficulties, seriously?
2. If a person who is elderly, disabled or with learning difficulties dies of neglect in a hospital and nobody reports it, do they make a noise?
The picture of the screaming tree is from the excellent Alexandre Jay art blog.
No comments:
Post a Comment